
What experience do you have within the field of PR?
Panic. Simple panic.The question became increasingly important with each second of my silence.
"Kathryn?" the interviewer asked a few seconds later.
"Just trying to organize my thoughts," I whimpered. "There is just too much experience to choose from."
First interview. First internship. First anxiety attack.
"Everyone has to get a start somewhere, Kathryn," Jessica said.
Jessica was my interviewer and a PRSSA mentor of mine. It only took one mock interview before I realized my weakness. Jessica exposed it with a simple question: "What experience do you have within the field of public relations?"
NONE!
This was my situation a year ago. I was a sophomore, and I had work experience, good grades, workable references and plenty of ambition. But, I had no PR experience.
Unlike you, I didn't know about Alpha PRoductions until it was too late. Our student-run PR firm is the number one way to get experience in public relations. As Jessica said, we all have to start somewhere. Take a look around. That somewhere can be Alpha PRoductions for you.
I was never involved in Alpha, unfortunately. Other commitments kept me from joining. However, Alpha can give you the opportunity to excel above and beyond your peers. You can get work experience during the school year, and you are working for real clients with real needs. Not to mention, we have the best client list ever this year.
There's really no reason not to get involved. If you want to get a step ahead, you should join Alpha PRoductions.
Contact Monica David at monica.mdavid@gmail.com if you are interested. It's not too late! Applications will be taken through October 1st. Get in while you can, and get the experience that will get you the internship you want!
If you have any questions or comments, please chime in at the comments section below, or contact me at kwats@ufl.edu. Also, please join our Facebook group! Just search for UF PRSSA.
Sincerely,
Kathryn Watson
VP of Chapter Development
Alpha Chapter, 2008-2009
No comments:
Post a Comment