Monday, September 1, 2008

New Year, New Exec Board, New Fun! Here's why.

Since classes began, you’ve probably collected a few trees worth of fliers from student groups, club promoters and political campaigns. If you have experience flyering, you’ve amassed a larger than normal stack simply because you understand the pain of having your flyers rudely rejected in the walkways of Turlington or at the Reitz colonnade. So why should you keep PRSSA’s flyer past the next available trash bin?

It’s an easy answer: you’ll have fun. Maybe not the same type of fun you’ll have if you’re responding to a flyer for Ruebar’s “naughty girls” night, but fun nonetheless. Plus, you’ll boost your resume and open doors for all types of experience by joining.

We have many ways you can get involved, and it’s easy to get started. At open house, you can hear about our many opportunities from committees for community service, fundraising, socials, technical (Web design) and more, to leadership training, positions within PRSSA Nationals, and even simply attending workshops and mixers.

If you don’t make it to open house, it’s not a problem! At any time, feel free to contact a member of our executive board who can fill you in on what you’ve missed, and answer any questions you may have.

And, if there’s one thing that stands out about PRSSA, it’s National Conference. Coming up in October, PR students from across the nation will gather in Detroit, Michigan, for a 5-day conference. Conference gives students a chance to mingle with some of the top PR professionals in the world, as well as participate in a career fair and network with students from across the world. Plus, when there are that many PR students in a room, it’s impossible to not have fun.

As your fall semester starts rolling, we hope you stop in and see what we’re all about. Don’t just join us for the line on your resume! As a freshman, I spent a year inactive in PRSSA before I got the nerve to start attending meetings and talking to the executive board. I wish I could have that year back!

Don’t be shy! We promise we don’t bite, and you will only see benefits from joining us and becoming involved. If you need more reason, feel free to take a look at the pictures below. I think they speak for themselves.

If you have any questions or comments, chime in at http://uf-prssa.blogspot.com, or contact me at kwats@ufl.edu. Also, join our Facebook group! Just search for UF PRSSA.

I’m looking forward to this incredible year, and I hope you’ll be there along with us!

Sincerely,

Kathryn Watson

VP of Chapter Development

Alpha Chapter, 2008-2009

No comments: